Recently, the Union Ministry of Electronics & IT launched the ERSO Pilot initiative to validate certain transformational policy and process changes to make India the Repair Capital of the World.
About Electronics Repair Services Outsourcing (ERSO)
- It aims to promote India as a hub for repairing electronic goods and to assess the feasibility and potential of capturing 20% of the global repair service market within five years.
- The pilot is being held in Bengaluru and will be run for three months.
- India’s e-waste policy will be modified to enable repair companies to domestically recycle 5% of imported goods by weight on a trial basis.
- The repaired goods will not be permitted to be sold in the domestic market.
- New provisions will be made to allow their exportation to regions other than their country of origin.
- Nodal Ministry: Ministry of Electronics & IT.
Q1) What is Outsourcing?
Outsourcing refers to the practice of contracting or delegating certain business functions or tasks to external third-party organizations or individuals. It involves transferring the responsibility for specific activities to an external provider rather than handling them in-house.