In order to reduce cyber frauds performed through fraudulently acquired SIM cards, the Department of Telecommunications (DoT) will now require police verification for SIM dealers, the enforcement move follows the launch of the Sanchar Saathi portal.
About Sanchar Saathi portal:
- The portal aims to provide various reforms and services related to mobile connections and telecommunications.
- It has been developed by C-DoT under the Department of Tele-communications (DoT) to prevent frauds such as identity theft, forged KYC, banking frauds etc.
- The portal allows mobile phone users to:
- Check the connections registered on their names.
- Report fraudulent or unrequired connections.
- Block the mobile phones which are stolen/lost.
- Check IMEI genuineness before buying a mobile phone.
- The three reforms are being introduced as part of the portal's framework:
- CEIR (Central Equipment Identity Register): It enables the tracking and blocking of lost or stolen phones anywhere in the country.
- Know your mobile connections: It allows users to check the number of mobile connections issued in their name by logging in using their mobile number. This feature helps identify any unauthorized or unwanted connections, which can be blocked immediately.
- ASTR (Artificial Intelligence and Facial Recognition powered Solution for Telecom SIM Subscriber Verification): This AI-based technology facilitates mobile connection analysis and includes features such as IMEI-based phone theft information messaging to law enforcement agencies and the owner. It also enables blocking of any number associated with a particular IMEI and the tracking of stolen mobile devices.
- The portal and its reforms aim to enhance transparency, security, and accountability in the telecom sector.
Q1) What is Artificial Intelligence?
Artificial Intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation of human intelligence processes by machines, particularly computer systems. It involves the development of algorithms, software, and hardware that enable computers to perform tasks that typically require human intelligence.