The union Minister for Tribal Affairs would be inaugurating the Aadi Mahotsav - the National Tribal Festival - on 25th October, at Ahmedabad, Gujarat
About Aadi Mahotsav
- The mega event is being organized by the Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India Limited (TRIFED),
- It serves as a unique, symbiotic bridge to embark on a journey through the tapestry of India's indigenous heritage.
- In this event, a total of over 100 stalls would showcase the kaleidoscope of India's tribal culture, craftsmanship, culinary artistry, and economic endeavors.
- This Aadi Mahotsav, besides other attractions of handicrafts, handloom, pottery, jewellery, will be showcasing ‘Millets grown by Tribals’.
Key points about TRIFED
- It is a national-level organisation under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- It is primarily engaged in the development and marketing of tribal handicrafts and natural products.
- It came into existence in 1987 and got registered under the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 1984 (now the Multi-State Cooperative Societies Act, 2002).
- Mandate: Capability enhancement for Tribals, promotion of tribal products, and creation of marketing opportunities for the Tribals with a view to ensuring remunerative prices for their products and augmenting their income on a sustainable basis.
- It has been entrusted by the Government of India to implement its proposed Minimum Support Price Scheme for Minor Forest Produce.
- Head Office: New Delhi
Q1) Who are called tribes?
Tribes are social groups or communities of people who share common cultural, linguistic, or historical characteristics and often live in close proximity to one another. Throughout human history, tribes have been a fundamental form of human social organization.