Union Minister of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying will launch the “Animal Pandemic Preparedness Initiative (APPI)” Animal Health System Support for One Health (AHSSOH) project under the aegis of National One Health Mission on 14th of April 2023 at India Habitat Center, New Delhi.
About Animal Health System Support for One Health:
- It is a collaborative project between the Department of Animal Husbandry and Dairying and the World Bank.
- It is aiming to create an ecosystem for a better animal health management system using the One Health approach.
- It will be implemented in five States and it envisages improving capacity building of stakeholders involved in animal health and disease management.
- Duration of the project: It will be implemented over a five-year period as a Central sector scheme with a financial provision of Rs. 1228.70 Cr.
- The project calls for participation by Human Health, Forest and Environment Department at the national, regional as well as local for creating and strengthening the One Health architecture including community engagement.
What is Animal Pandemic Preparedness Initiative (APPI)?
- The Department Animal Husbandry has conceived a focused framework of the for future animal pandemic and epidemics.
- Few key activities under APPI which are at different stages of execution are as follows:
- Defined joint investigation and outbreak response teams (National & state)
- Design an overall integrated disease surveillance system (built on National Digital Livestock Mission)
- Strengthening the Regulatory system (e.g., Nandi online portal and Field trial guidelines)
Q1) What is pandemic?
A pandemic is an outbreak of a disease that spreads across a large geographic area, affecting a significant portion of the population. Pandemics can be caused by viruses, bacteria, or other infectious agents that are easily transmitted from person to person.