The Union Education Ministry recently notified the States to begin the process of introducing the Automated Permanent Academic Account Registry or 'APAAR'.
About Automated Permanent Academic Account Registry (APAAR)
- APAAR, dubbed 'One Nation, One Student ID', is an Education Ecosystem Registry, or an 'EduLocker'.
- The APAAR will give each student enrolled from pre-primary to higher education, a unique identification number.
- This will be in addition to the already existing Aadhaar ID that every individual has.
- Upon enrolling in APAAR, each student's identity will be authenticated through their Aadhaar ID or other officially recognised documents, and a distinct identification number will be generated for them.
- The APAAR, or EduLocker will be a lifelong ID number for students for seamless tracking of their academic journey and achievements.
- They will be able to digitally store their exam results, learning outcomes, co-curricular achievements such as ranking in Olympiads or receiving specialised skill training, and much more.
- Transcripts, certificates, and other academic achievements may be easily stored and accessed by students, boosting their capacity to apply for employment, scholarships, or higher education opportunities.
- In addition to that, students transferring from one school to another will face less hassle in obtaining admission to a new institution in any part of the country.
- It would make it easier for authorities, educational boards, and institutions to track student progress, monitor performance, and assess the effectiveness of education policies.
- It will also help government agencies monitor dropouts.
- Enrolment process:
- The enrolment process will be carried out by the school with the consent of their parents, who will also be able to withdraw their consent at any given point of time.
- The government assured that the data will be shared only with concerned government agencies if and when required.
- The data collected on each student by the schools will be stored in a centrally functioning District Information for Education portal.
Q1) What is Aadhaar?
Aadhaar is a 12-digit identifying number given by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to the residents of India after a certain verification process. To get an Aadhaar number, individuals have to provide minimal demographic and biometric information, which include name, date of birth or age, gender, address, mobile number, and e-mail ID (optional), fingerprints, iris scans, and a facial photo.