Recently, a new study revealed that the Kashmir Valley has bucked the trend of Asiatic black attacks on humans rarely reported throughout the animal’s global range.
About Asiatic black bear
- The Asiatic black bear is known as the Moon bear.
- The Asiatic black bear has 7 subspecies, out of which we find the Himalayan Black Bear subspecies in India.
- Features: The Asiatic Black Bear has a coat of smooth black fur and can be distinguished by a V of white fur on its chest.
- Range: The Asiatic black bear lives in a narrow band stretching from south-eastern Iran to Myanmar, across the Himalayan foothills.
- In India, it is found in Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Sikkim, and the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Asiatic black bear is omnivorous.
- Conservation status
- IUCN Red List: Vulnerable
- CITES: Appendix I
- Wild Life Protection Act 1972: Schedule II
Q1) Where do we find Sloth Bear?
Sloth bears are endemic to the Indian sub-continent and are found in all parts of India except Jammu and Kashmir and northeastern States.