Recently, the Chief Election Commissioner of India led a three-member Election Commission of India (ECI) delegation to Cartagena, Colombia to attend the 11th meeting of the Executive Board of the Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB).
About Association of World Election Bodies (A-WEB):
- It is the largest association of Election Management Bodies (EMBs) worldwide.
- It was founded in October, 2013 in Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Theme of 2023 meeting: “A global view on the challenges of regional elections 2023”.
- Vision: The shared vision among its members of achieving sustainable democracy around the world through the strengthening of the processes of election management in member countries.
- Members: It consists of 119 EMBs as Members & 20 Regional Associations/Organisations as Associate Members.
- India is a member of this association and is represented by the Election Commission of India (ECI).
- ECI took over as Chairperson for 2019-22 term and is presently a member of its Executive Board for 2022-24 in its capacity as immediate former Chair of A-WEB.
- In India A-WEB Centre has been established at New Delhi for documentation and research for sharing the best practices and training and capacity building of officials of A-WEB members.
Q1) What is the role of the Election Commission of India ?
The ECI is responsible for organizing and conducting elections for the offices of the President, Vice-President, Members of Parliament, and Members of State Legislative Assemblies and Councils. It ensures that the electoral process is free, fair, and impartial.