Recently, the Women and Child Development Minister introduced the Baal Swaraj portal in Rajya Sabha.
About Baal Swaraj Portal:
- It is a portal launched by NCPCR for online tracking and digital real-time monitoring mechanism of children in need of care and protection.
- The portal has two functions- COVID care and CiSS.
- COVID Care link caters to the children who have lost either or both parents due to COVID-19 or otherwise post March 2020.
- Ciss- to help in the rehabilitation process of Children in Street Situations.
- Portal also provides a platform for professionals and organizations to provide any help for children in need in the form of open shelters, counselling services, medical services, de-addiction services, education services, volunteering etc.
- It has been launched under a centrally sponsored scheme namely Mission Vatsalya.
- Mission Vatsalya scheme (erstwhile Integrated Child Protection Scheme) launched in 2009-10 for supporting the children in difficult circumstances.
- Vision: To secure a healthy & happy childhood for each and every child in India, ensure opportunities to enable them to discover their full potential and assist them in flourishing in all respects.
- Components under Mission Vatsalya include:
- Improve functioning of statutory bodies;
- Strengthen service delivery structures;
- Upscale institutional care/services;
- Encourage non-institutional community-based care;
- emergency outreach services;
- Training and capacity building
- Implementing Agency: The National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR).
- Nodal Ministry: Women and Child Development Ministry.
Q1) What is the role of the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights?
The commission's mandate is to ensure that all laws, policies, programs and administrative systems conform to the vision of the rights of the child as enunciated in the Constitution of India as well as the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child.