Israel’s Defence Ministry recently unveiled its next-generation tank, the artificially intelligent Barak Tank.
About Barak Tank
- The Barak, or Lightning, is a fifth-generation main battle tank developed by Israel.
- It was developed jointly by the Israel Defense Ministry’s (IDF) Armored Vehicles Directorate and the IDF’s Ground Forces and Armored Corps.
- It includes Artificial Intelligence based sensing and processing capabilities.
- The Barak includes touch screens and an operational application store to help with missions.
- The tank commander will be equipped with a helmet known as IronVision, resembling those used by fighter jet pilots.
- The device would enable real-time target location using artificial intelligence and 360-degree scanning via head movement.
- This will enable soldiers to overcome inherent visibility challenges, thereby enhancing mission effectiveness and safety.
- It includes a 120mm smoothbore gun. This gun can fire high-penetration projectiles and guided ammunition at distances of up to four kilometres.
- The additional weaponry consists of a pair of 7.62mm machine guns, an additional 7.62mm machine gun installed on the right side of the turret, and a 60mm mortar.
- It features the advanced Windbreaker missile defense system.
Q1) What is a Smoothbore Gun?
A smoothbore gun is a type of firearm that has a barrel with a smooth, ungrooved interior surface. Unlike rifled firearms, which have spiral grooves (rifling) cut into the barrel's bore, smoothbore guns have a cylindrical bore without any rifling. This lack of rifling results in a smooth, even inner surface.