Recently, For the first time in the country, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has specified the identity standards for Basmati Rice.
Why in news?
- As per these standards, Basmati rice shall possess natural fragrance characteristics of basmati rice and be free from artificial colouring, polishing agents and artificial fragrances.
- It was issued to Brown Basmati Rice, Milled Basmati Rice, Parboiled Brown Basmati Rice and Milled Parboiled Basmati Rice.
- The standards are aimed at establishing fair practices in the trade of Basmati rice and protecting consumer interest, both domestically and globally. These standards will be enforced from 1st August 2023.
What is the Uniqueness of Basmati Rice?
- It is cultivated in the Himalayan foothills of the Indian sub-continent and is universally known for its long grain size, fluffy texture and unique inherent aroma and flavour.
What are the Climatic conditions required for rice cultivation?
- Temperature: Between 22-32°C with high humidity.
- Rainfall: Around 150-300 cm.
- Soil Type: Deep clayey and loamy soil.
- Top Rice Producing States: West Bengal > Punjab > Uttar Pradesh > Andhra Pradesh
Q1) How many types of licenses FSSAI issues?
FSSAI issues three types of licenses based on the nature of the food business and turnover:
Registration: For Turnover less than ₹12 Lakh
State License: For Turnover between ₹12 Lakh to ₹20 Crore
Central License: For Turnover above ₹20 Crore