Border Roads Organisation (BRO) celebrated its 64th Raising Day on May 07, 2023 at all its detachments across the country.
About Border Roads Organisation (BRO):
- The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) is a road construction executive force in India that provides support to Indian Armed Forces.
- BRO develops and maintains road networks in India's border areas and friendly neighboring countries.
- This includes infrastructure operations in 19 states and three union territories (including Andaman and Nicobar Islands) and neighboring countries such as Afghanistan, Bhutan, Myanmar, Tajikistan and Sri Lanka.
- BRO is also tasked with maintaining this infrastructure including operations such as snow clearance. BRO is instrumental in significantly upgrading and building new India-China Border Roads.
- Officers and personnel from the General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF) form the parent cadre of the BRO.
- It is also staffed by Officers and Troops drawn from the Indian Army's Corps of Engineers on extra regimental employment (on deputation).
- BRO is also included in the Order of Battle of the Armed Forces, ensuring their support at any time.
- The BRO undertakes projects in India and friendly countries.
- These projects typically include developing roads, bridges, and airfields in hostile environments shunned by private enterprises, whether due to security concerns related to hostilities, or because of environmental challenges.
- BRO has been active during the 1962 war, the conflicts with Pakistan in 1965 and 1971, and has also been active in anti-insurgency operations in North East.
- The BRO was formed on 7 May 1960 to secure India's borders and develop infrastructure in remote areas of the north and north-east states of the country.
- In order to ensure coordination and expeditious execution of projects, the Government of India set up the Border Roads Development Board (BRDB) with the Prime Minister as Chairman of the Board and Defence Minister as Deputy Chairman.
Motto of Border Roads Organisation:
- The organisation motto is Shramena Sarvam Sadhyam (everything is achievable through hardwork)
Q1) What is Indian armed force?
The Armed Forces of the Union means the Army, Navy and Air Force of the Indian Union including the Armed Forces of the former Indian States, but excludes the persons who have served in Defence Security Corps, General Reserve Engineering Force, Lok Sahayak Sena and Para Military Forces (PMF).