Recently, for the first time artificial intelligence (AI) fully automated the process of discovering a supernova without any human intervention.
About Bright Transient Survey Bot:
- It is a machine-learning algorithm which has been trained by using over 1.4 million images from nearly 16,000 sources,
- It detected the newly discovered supernova named SN2023tyk in data from the Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF)
- How does it work?
- It automatically requested the potential supernova’s spectrum from Palomar Observatory – where another robotic telescope, the Spectral Energy Distribution Machine (SEDM) performed an in-depth observation to obtain the source’s spectrum.
- This new system not only allows automation of the entire search for new supernovae across the night sky but also eliminates human error and dramatically increases speed.
- It searched ,detected, confirmed, classified, and announced the findings without any human intervention
What is artificial intelligence?
- Artificial intelligence (AI) refers to the simulation or approximation of human intelligence in machines.
- The goals of artificial intelligence include computer-enhanced learning, reasoning, and perception.
- AI is being used today across different industries from finance to healthcare.
Q1) What is Machine learning?
It is a subset of artificial intelligence (AI) that focuses on the development of algorithms and statistical models that enable computer systems to learn and make predictions or decisions without being explicitly programmed. Machine learning is a powerful and rapidly evolving field with a wide range of applications.