- This is the first project of its kind in which a military aircraft will be manufactured in India by a private company.
- 16 aircraft will be delivered in flyaway condition and 40 will be manufactured in India by the Indian Aircraft Contractor, TATA Consortium of Tata Advanced Systems Limited and Tata Consultancy Services.
- In September 2021, Cabinet Committee on Security had approved the procurement of 56 C-295MW transport aircraft from Airbus Defence and Space S.A.
- The first 16 fly-away aircraft are scheduled to be received between September 2023 and August 2025.
- The first Made in India aircraft is expected in September 2026.
- The aircraft can be used for civilian purposes also.
- All 56 aircraft will be fitted with indigenous Electronic Warfare suite of Indian DPSUs – Bharat Electronics Ltd and Bharat Dynamics Limited.
- After completion of delivery of 56 aircraft to IAF, M/s Airbus Defence & Space will be allowed to sell the aircraft manufactured in India to civil operators and export to countries which are cleared by the Government of India.
- C-295MW is a transport aircraft of 5-10 tonne capacity with contemporary technology that will replace the ageing Avro aircraft of IAF.
- It has a rear ramp door for quick reaction and para dropping of troops and cargo.
- It can carry around 40-45 paratroopers or around 70 passengers.
- Short take-off/land from semi-prepared surfaces is another of its features.
- The aircraft will strengthen the logistic capabilities of the IAF.
Source : All India Radio