Why in the News?
INSV Tarini will start for an expedition to Cape Town, South Africa for participating in the 50th edition of Cape to Rio Race 2023.
- This ocean sailing race will be flagged off from Cape Town on 02 Jan 23 and will culminate at Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The race is one of the most prestigious Trans-Atlantic ocean races.
- Transiting from Goa to Rio de Janeiro via Cape Town and back, INSV Tarini would be covering a distance of almost 17,000 nautical miles (approx. 30,000 km)
- The crew, over a period of 5-6 months in this trans-oceanic voyage is expected to face extreme weather and rough sea conditions of the Indian, Atlantic and the Southern oceans.
What is INS Tarini?
- It is the second sailboat of Indian Navy after INSV Mhedi.
- It is known for circumnavigating the globe with an all-women officer crew in the historic expedition titled 'Navika Sagar Parikrama' in 2017.
Q1) What are the special features of INSV Tarini?
It is a 55 foot sailing vessel built indigenously in India by M/s Aquarius Shipyard Pvt. Ltd, located in Goa. INSV Tarini has an advanced Raymarine navigation suite and an array of satellite communication systems for perfect navigation anywhere in the world.
Source: All India Radio