Recently, the Inter-State Chanaka-Korata(Rudha) Barrage got environmental clearance.
Key Facts about Chanaka-Korata Barrage
- It is a Telangana-Maharashtra joint project on the Penganga river to irrigate 6,677 hectares of land.
- The project envisages the construction of a barrage across the Penganga river to irrigate an area of 6,677 hectares (5,463 hectares in Telangana and 1,214 hectares in Maharashtra).
- The gross command area of the project is 10,442.913 hectares.
- Origin: It originates in the Ajantha ranges in Aurangabad district in Maharashtra.
- It is a major tributary of the Wardha River (part of Godavari River basin).
- The total length of the river is 676 Km.
- The river flows along the State border between Maharashtra & Telangana before converging into Wardha river.
- Tributaries: The main tributaries of the river are Adan, Kas, Arunavati Kayadhu & Pus.
- The famous Sahastrakund falls on this river.
Q1) Which are the major tributaries of Godavari?
The Pravara, Indravati, Wainganga, Wardha, Pench, Kanhan, Penganga, Manjira, Bindusara and sabari rivers are its important tributaries.