PM to participate in Constitution Day celebrations in Supreme Court on 26th November.
About Constitution Day:
- India observes Constitution Day or Samvidhan Divas on November 26 every year in order to commemorate the adoption of the Constitution of India.
- On the occasion of the 125th birth anniversary of BR Ambedkar, the Union Cabinet decided to celebrate November 26 as Constitution Day.
History of the Constitution Day
- The Constituent Assembly adopted the present-day Constitution on November 26, 1949 but it was decided that it will come into effect after a gap of almost two months i.e. on January 26, 1950. During this two-month break, the members of the constituent assembly thoroughly read it in order to find any mistakes.
- The Constituent Assembly met for two years, eleven months and eighteen days, a total of 166 days, before adopting the Constitution.
- Initially, it had been written in both English and Hindi and had been signed by each member of the assembly.
Interesting facts about the Constitution of India
- The constitution is the largest written constitution in the world.
- The original copy had been written by hand.
- Each page of the constitution has a gold leaf frame while the opening page of each is adorned with some kind of artwork.
- Beohar Rammanohar Sinha and Nandalal Bose, who were artists from Shantiniketan, had decorated the original version of the Constitution.
- Prem Behari Narain Raizada was a talented calligrapher who had prepared the original copies of the constitution.
Source : PIB