Logistics company DP World on recently said that it has won a major contract to develop, operate and maintain a mega-container terminal at Deendayal Port in Gujarat under the public-private partnershi
About Deendayal Port:
- Deendayal Port (previously called Kandla port) is situated in the Kandla Creek and is 90 kms from the mouth of the Gulf Of Kachch in Gujarat.
- It is a protected natural harbor.
- It is recognized as one of major ports in India.
- It was constructed in the 1950s as the chief seaport serving western India, after the partition of India from Pakistan left the port of Karachi in Pakistan.
- Deendayal Port is hub for major imports like petroleum, chemicals and iron also export grains, salt and textiles.
- It remains India’s biggest state-owned cargo handler by volume, but it has steadily lost market share to privately owned Mundra Port (India’s largest private port) 60km to the southwest.
Q1) Which are the major ports in India?
Major ports in India are Chennai Port, Kolkata Port, Haldia Port (West Bengal), Jawaharlal Nehru Port (Maharashtra), Kamarajar Port or Ennore Port (Chennai), Kandla Port (Gujarat), Kochin Port (Kerala), New Mangalore Port (Karnataka), Mormugao Port (Goa), Mumbai Port, Paradip Port (Odisha), Tuticorin Port (Tamil Nadu), Visakhapatnam Port (Andhra Pradesh).