The Union Cabinet has recently approved the naming of Hollongi Greenfield Airport in Itanagar of Arunachal Pradesh as “Donyi Polo Airport, Itanagar”.
About Donyi Polo Airport, Itanagar:
- The name reflect the people’s reverence of the Sun as Donyi and the Moon as Polo to symbolize the traditions and rich cultural heritage of the State.
- In January,2019, the Central government granted in-principle’ approval for development of Hollongi Greenfield Airport.
- The project is being developed by Airports Authority of India with the help of Central Government and the State Government of at a cost of ₹646 crore.
- With a 2,300 metre runway, the greenfield airport is the first in Arunachal Pradesh to have the capacity to land big aircraft.
- The Hollongi airport is the state’s third after Pasighat and Tezu airports and only airport in the capital city.
- The central government had earlier accorded its approval for setting up of the “greenfield airport" under the `Capital Connectivity Scheme` to build up fixed wing air connectivity facility to the state capital.
- The Donyi Polo airport in Itanagar is northeast India`s 16th airport.
Source : All India Radio