Efforts are being made by the Kerala state authorities to expand the cultivation of geographical indication (GI)-tagged Onattukara sesame.
About Onattukara sesame
- It is cultivated in the state of Kerala.
- Onattukara Ellu and its oil are famous for its unique health benefits.
- Relatively higher antioxidant content in Onattukara Ellu helps in fighting the free radicals, which destroy the body cells.
- It has a high content of unsaturated fat which makes it beneficial for heart patients.
- This sesame grown in the region contains high levels of Vitamin E and antioxidants.
- It also contains oleic acid, linoleic acid, palmitoleic acid and so on which help maintain good health.
Key facts about Geographical Indication (GI) tag
- It is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- This is typically used for agricultural products, foodstuffs, wine and spirit drinks, handicrafts and industrial products.
- The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999 seeks to provide for the registration and better protection of geographical indications relating to goods in India.
- This GI tag is valid for 10 years following which it can be renewed.
Q1) What are Unsaturated fat?
These are a fatty acid in which the hydrocarbon molecules have two carbons that share double or triple bond(s) and are therefore not completely saturated with hydrogen atoms. Due to the decreased saturation with hydrogen bonds, the structures are weaker and are, therefore, typically liquid (oil) at room temperature.