Recently, Parliament of India passed the Energy Conservation (Amendment )Bill -2022.
About Energy Conservation (Amendment) Bill 2022:
- The Energy Conservation (Amendment) Bill-2022 amends the Energy Conservation Act 2001.
Salient features of the amendments
- The Bill amends the Energy Conservation Act, 2001 to empower the central government to specify a carbon credit trading scheme.
- Designated consumers may be required to meet a proportion of their energy needs from non-fossil sources.
- The Energy Conservation Code for buildings will also apply to office and residential buildings with a connected load of 100 kilowatt or above.
- Energy consumption standards will be specified for vehicles and ships.
Provisions of the Energy Conservation Act-2001
- Energy Efficiency Norms: Empowers the Centre to specify norms and standards of energy efficiency for appliances, industrial equipment and buildings with a connected load over 100 kiloWatts (kW) or a contractual demand of more than 15 kilovolt-amperes (kVA).
- Energy Trading: The Government can issue energy savings certificates to those industries which consume less than their maximum allotted energy.
- Bureau Of Energy Efficiency: The act established this statutory body (Under Ministry of Power) helps in policy and programs ,which will increase the conservation and efficient use of energy in India.
Q1) What is ECBC?
The Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) was launched in May 2007 by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Ministry of Power to establish minimum requirements for energy efficient design and construction of buildings..
Source: Times of India