A bilateral joint military exercise “NOMADIC ELEPHANT-23” is scheduled to be conducted between India and Mongolia at Ulaanbaatar from 17 to 31 July 2023.
About Exercise Nomadic Elephant:
- It is the 15th edition of bilateral joint military exercise.
- It is an annual training event with Mongolia which is conducted alternatively in Mongolia and India.
- Soldiers of the Mongolian Armed Forces Unit 084 from and Indian Army soldiers from the JAMMU AND KASHMIR LIGHT INFANTRY Regiment will be participating in the exercise.
- The aim of this exercise is to build positive military relations, exchange best practices, develop inter-operability, bonhomie, camaraderie and friendship between the two armies.
- The primary theme of the exercise will focus on counter-terrorism operations in mountainous terrain under United Nations mandate.
- The scope of this exercise involves Platoon level Field Training Exercise (FTX).
- During the exercise, Indian and Mongolian troops will engage in various training activities designed to enhance their skills and capabilities.
- These activities include endurance training, reflex firing, room intervention, small team tactics and rock craft training. Soldiers from both sides will learn from each other’s operational experience.
Q1) What is the Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry?
The Jammu and Kashmir Light Infantry (JKLI) is an infantry regiment of the Indian Army. It was raised on 15th April 1948, shortly after the partition of India and the subsequent Indo-Pakistani War of 1947-48. It has been awarded several gallantry awards, including the Param Vir Chakra, the highest military decoration in India.