Recently, Indian Navy – US Navy (IN – USN) Salvage and Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) exercise, SALVEX was conducted from 26 Jun – 06 Jul 23 at Kochi.
About EXERCISE – SALVEX:
- Indian Navy – US Navy have been participating in joint Salvage and EOD exercises since 2005.
- It is the Seventh edition of SALVEX.
- The exercise saw participation from both the navies which included the ships – INS Nireekshak and USNS Salvor in addition to Specialist Diving and EOD teams.
- It also saw conduct of joint training exercises towards enhancing interoperability, cohesiveness and gaining from best practices mutually in Maritime Salvage and EOD operations.
- The constructive engagements on operational terms enhanced the skill-sets of the Diving teams in a number of diverse disciplines such as mine detection and neutralisation, wreck location and salvage.
What are the other exercises conducted between India and US?
- Malabar Exercise: It is a quadrilateral naval exercise of India, USA, Japan and Australia
- Exercise Tiger Triumph: It is a humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief exercise.
- Yudh Abhyas: It is a joint military exercise
Q1) What is INS Nireekshak?
INS Nireekshak is a diving support vessel operated by the Indian Navy. The ship is primarily used for diving operations, underwater maintenance, repair, and salvage operations