Tampere University researchers recently developed a Dandelion seed-inspired flying robot that could potentially replace pollinators
About FAIRY Robots:
- The FAIRY robot, which is based on the Light Responsive Materials Assembly, is a tiny lightweight robot that floats in the wind.
- Surprisingly, the robot can be controlled by a light source like a laser beam or an LED.
- Researchers could use light to change the shape of the robot, allowing it to adapt to the direction of the wind.
- A soft actuator made of light-responsive liquid crystalline elastomer powers the polymer assembly robot inspired by dandelion seeds.
- As a result, the researchers were able to stimulate the actuator's bristles to open or close by using visible light.
Q1) What is a pollinator?
A pollinator is one which carry pollen from the male part of the flower (stamen) to the female part of the same or another flower (stigma). It will help the plant to become fertilized and produce fruits, seeds, and young plants.