Recently, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has undertaken to translate Food Safety and Compliance System (FOSCOS) into Hindi, followed by all the regional languages.
About Food Safety and Compliance System:
- It is an enhanced version of the Food Licensing and Registration System (FLRS) which was launched in 2012 for the issuance of pan-India FSSAI Licenses and Registration.
- It is a comprehensive system for registration and licensing for Food Business Operators (FBOs).
- It is a one-point stop for FBOs for their interface with the food safety regulator for all types of compliances.
Key facts about the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI)
- It is a statutory body established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (FSS Act).
- FSS Act, of 2006 consolidated various acts & orders that had earlier handled food-related issues in various Ministries and Departments.
- Nodal ministry: Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.
- Some of the Initiatives of FSSAI
- Heart Attack Rewind: It was launched for the elimination of industrially produced trans-fat in the food supply.
- It will support FSSAI‟s global target of eliminating trans-fat in India by the year 2022.
- Eat Right India movement: It is an initiative to transform the country’s food system to ensure safe, healthy and sustainable food for all Indians.
Q1) What is a statutory body?
A statutory body is a government entity created by an Act of Parliament or legislation, with the power to regulate, oversee, or provide a specific service. These bodies have a legal mandate to carry out their functions