Recently, the union Health Minister released the fifth State Food Safety Index in New Delhi.
About Food Safety Index:
- The Index is an annual assessment released by the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI).
- It was started in 2018-19 and serves as a tool to propel States and Union Territories to enhance their performance and establish robust food safety ecosystems within their jurisdictions
- This index is based on the performance of the State/ UT on five significant parameters, namely, Human Resources and Institutional Data, Compliance, Food Testing – Infrastructure and Surveillance, Training & Capacity Building and Consumer Empowerment.
- The Index is a dynamic quantitative and qualitative benchmarking model that provides an objective framework for evaluating food safety across all States/UTs.
- Ranking of the States and Union Territories in the 2022 -23 Report
- Among the large state category: Kerala is the top-ranking state followed by Punjab and Tamil Nadu.
- Among the small states category: Goa is the top-ranking state followed by Manipur, and Sikkim in the Small States category.
- Among the Union Territories category: Jammu and Kashmir, Chandigarh, and Delhi
Q1) What is the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India?
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) is the apex regulatory body responsible for ensuring food safety and regulating the food industry in India. It was established under the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006, which consolidates various food-related laws and regulations in the country.