Ministry of Culture is organising the First G20 Culture Group (CWG) meeting in Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh from 22nd to 25th February 2023.
About the G20 Culture Group meeting:
- The working group will have four meetings and they will be held in Khajuraho, Bhubaneshwar, and Hampi.
- The theme of the Khajuraho meet is “Protection and Restitution of Cultural Property”.
- Key facts about Khajuraho
- Khajuraho is an ancient city known for its majestic temples and elaborate sculptures.
- The Khajuraho Group of Monuments is a UNESCO World Heritage Site which was constructed by the Chandela Dynasty between 950-1050 AD.
- These monuments are built in Nagara-style architecture and ornamented with intricate and detailed sculptures.
- The monuments include Hindu and Jain temples.
- According to historical records, there were 85 temples in the temple site in Khajuraho, covering 20 square kilometres, in the 12th Century AD.
Q1) What is Nagara-style of architecture?
It is a distinct style of temple architecture that emerged in northern India from the fifth century A.D. onwards. Even within the Nagara school, different sub-schools arose in the country's western, central, and eastern regions.