Recently, the union Minister for Science and Technology launched the Global Health Innovation Fellowship to promote medtech startups and innovators among youth.
About Global Health Innovation Fellowship:
- It is an initiative in collaboration with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Ministry of Science & Technology.
- This collaboration will leverage intellectual property (IP), innovation and medical technology to solve local health challenges using global partnerships.
- It aims to foster collaboration and knowledge exchange among young professionals from diverse countries”.
Key facts about the World Intellectual Property Organisation
- It was created in 1967 "to encourage creative activity, to promote the protection of intellectual property (IP) throughout the world."
- It is one of the 17 specialised agencies of the United Nations.
- Currently, there are 193 members of the World Intellectual Property Organisation.
- India joined this organization in 1975.
- Headquarter: Geneva
- It provides
- A policy forum to shape balanced international IP rules for a changing world;
- A global services to protect IP across borders and to resolve disputes;
- Technical infrastructure to connect IP systems and share knowledge;
- Cooperation and capacity-building programs to enable all countries to use IP for economic, social and cultural development;
- A world reference source for IP information
Q1) What is Intellectual property Rights?
Intellectual property (IP) refers to legal rights that are granted to individuals or entities for their creations or inventions resulting from intellectual or creative efforts. These rights provide the creators with exclusive control over their intellectual assets, allowing them to benefit financially from their work and protect it from unauthorized use or reproduction.
Source: Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh presides over the launch of the DBT and World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) supported Global Health Innovation Fellowship to promote Med Tech StartUps and innovators among youth