Gir indigenous cow breed is being promoted under Rashtriya Gokul Mission.
About Gir cow
- It is an excellent dairy cattle breed well-known among the milk producers.
- It is known for its milk producing ability, good fertility, heat tolerance, easy maintenance, resistance to diseases and longevity.
- The name of the breed is derived from its place of origin, the “Gir” forest of Gujarat.
- It has the ability to adapt to the entire central belt and northern and southern stretches.
- Key points about Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- It has been implemented for the development and conservation of indigenous bovine breeds since December 2014.
- It is continued under the umbrella scheme Rashtriya Pashudhan Vikas Yojana from 2021 to 2026.
- To enhance the productivity of bovines and increase milk production in a sustainable manner using advanced technologies.
- To propagate the use of high genetic merit bulls for breeding purposes.
- To enhance artificial insemination coverage through strengthening the breeding network and delivery of Artificial insemination services at farmers' doorstep.
- To promote indigenous cattle & buffalo rearing and conservation in a scientific and holistic manner.
Q1) What is Genetics?
It is the scientific study of genes, heredity, and the variation of organisms. It is a branch of biology that focuses on understanding how traits and characteristics are passed from one generation to the next and how they are expressed in living organisms.