Recently, the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) published the Global Food Policy Report, 2023 which said that investing in early warning systems is essential to save lives, livelihoods and money.
Key highlights of the report:
- The report called for a more proactive response to food system shocks with a focus on three key areas:
- Crisis prediction and preparation
- Building resilience before and during crises
- Making crisis response supportive and inclusive of women, forced migrants and other vulnerable groups.
- It advocated for strengthening agrifood value chains to support livelihoods and food security during crises.
- It advised governments to maintain a business environment that fosters flexibility, and technical and financial innovation.
Key facts about the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- It was established in 1975 and provides research-based policy solutions to sustainably reduce poverty and end hunger and malnutrition in developing countries.
- Headquarters: Washington, D.C
- It is a research centre of CGIAR, which is the world’s largest agricultural innovation network.
- Its research focuses on five strategic research areas:
- Fostering Climate-Resilient and Sustainable Food Supply
- Promoting Healthy Diets and Nutrition for Al
- Building Inclusive and Efficient Markets, Trade Systems, and Food Industry
- Transforming Agricultural and Rural Economies
- Strengthening Institutions and Governance
Q1) What is Climate Resilient agriculture?
It is a set of agricultural practices and strategies that are designed to help farmers and food systems adapt to the impacts of climate change while also improving their productivity and sustainability.