Recently, Union Minister for Jal Shakti has launched the Unified Registration Portal for GOBARdhan
About Unified Registration Portal:
- This portal will serve as a centralized repository for assessing investment and participation in the Biogas/CBG (Compressed Biogas) sector at a pan India level.
- Primary objective: To streamline the process of setting up CBG/Biogas plants in the country.
- The Unified Registration Portal allows any government, cooperative or private entity operating or intending to set up a Biogas/CBG/Bio-CNG plant in India to obtain a registration number by enrolling in the portal.
- This registration number will enable them to avail a multitude of benefits and support from the Ministries and Departments of the Government of India.
- Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resources Dhan, is a crucial umbrella initiative of the Government of India.
- The government launched the Gobardhan scheme in 2018 as a national priority project under the Swachh Bharat Mission Grameen-Phase II program.
- To generate wealth and energy by converting cattle dung, agricultural residue, and other organic waste into Biogas, CBG and bio-fertilizers.
- It adopts a whole-of-government approach and aims to convert waste into wealth, thereby promoting a circular economy.
- Nodal Ministry: The Department of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
Q1) What is Biogas?
Biogas is a renewable energy source produced through the anaerobic digestion or fermentation of organic materials such as agricultural residues, animal manure, sewage sludge, food waste, and energy crops. It primarily consists of methane (CH4) and carbon dioxide (CO2), with small amounts of other gases.