Direct-to-home (DTH) company Tata Play is set to expand its bandwidth capacity by 50% by adding 24 new Ku-band transponders on the communication satellite GSAT-24.
- It was built by ISRO for NewSpace India Limited (NSIL) which was successfully placed into geostationary orbit by the Ariane 5 rocket.
- t is a 24-Ku band communication satellite weighing 4,180 kg with pan-India coverage for meeting DTH application needs.
- It was the first demand driven communication satellite mission undertaken by NSIL post space sector reforms.
- It is configured on ISRO's proven I-3k Bus with a mission life of 15 years.
Key facts about NewSpace India Limited
- NewSpace India Limited (NSIL) NewSpace India Limited headquartered in Bengaluru is a Central Public Sector Enterprise (CPSE).
- It is a commercial arm under Department of Space (DoS), Government of India.
- It was incorporated in March 2019 and was set up to take high technology space-related activities in India.
- Under the new space policy reforms announced by the Government of India in June 2020, NSIL is to undertake operational satellite missions on a “demand-driven” model.
- They are responsible to build, launch, own and operate the satellite and provide services to customers.
Q1) What is DTH?
DTH stands for "Direct-to-Home." It is a satellite television broadcasting service that delivers television signals directly to subscribers' homes through satellite transmission. DTH allows viewers to access a wide range of TV channels and services without the need for cable connections