Recently, the Union Ministry of Consumer Affairs said that the sale of gold jewellery mandates a Hallmark Unique Identification (HUID) from April 1, 2023.
About Hallmark Unique Identification:
- The HUID is a unique 6-digit alphanumeric code consisting of numbers and letters.
- The HUID will be given to every piece of jewellery at the time of hallmarking and it is unique for every piece of jewellery.
- This unique number is stamped manually, on jewellery at the Assaying & Hallmarking centres.
- Present scenario: Earlier, the HUID used to be 4 digits and now both 4 and 6-digit HUIDs are used in the market.
- From April 1st 2023, only 6-digit alphanumeric codes will be allowed.
- Symbol: The BIS Hallmark consists of 3 symbols namely the BIS logo, Purity/Fineness Grade, and a six-digit alphanumeric code
- The authenticity of hallmarked jewellery can be checked by using the 'verify HUID' feature on the BIS Care App.
What is the Bureau of Indian Standards?
- Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the National Standards Body of India established under the BIS Act 2016.
- Objective: Harmonious development of the activities of standardisation, and quality assurance of goods and articles.
- It works under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution.
- BIS represents India in International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).
Q1) What is Hallmarking?
Hallmarking is the accurate determination and official recording of the proportionate content of precious metal in precious metal articles. Hallmarks are thus official marks used in many countries as a guarantee of purity or fineness of precious metal articles.