Key facts about Heimang
- The Heimang tree grows widely in Manipur and other north-eastern regions
- Its fruit have a citrus-like tartness and, it is packed with nutrients such as polyphenols, flavonoids, and antioxidants.
- Traditional healers of Manipur called Maibas or maibis, prescribe heimang for common gastrointestinal problems like diarrhoea and dysentery.
- It is also recommended to eat water-soaked fruit for indigestion and stomach ulcer.
- The research found that compounds isolated from the stem of the heimang tree can significantly suppress HIV-1 activity in vitro.
- Local communities in the state also use heimang leaves to prepare a herbal shampoo called chinghi by boiling them with rice water.
Q1:)What are Flavonoids?
Flavonoids, a group of natural substances with variable phenolic structures, are found in fruits, vegetables, grains, bark, roots, stems, flowers, tea and wine.