The President and Prime Minister recently conveyed their warm wishes to Indian Army personnel on the occasion of Army Day.
About Indian Army Day
- Indian Army Day is celebrated every year on January 15.
- On the special occasion of Army Day, the officials will perform a parade in the presence of higher dignitaries, and its salute is taken by the Indian Army Chief.
- This day is celebrated to commemorate the victory of the Indian Army over the British Army.
- On January 15, 1949, Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa became the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army, and took over authority from the British Commander-in-Chief General Francis Butcher, and became the first Indian to command the Army in its long, rich history.
- From 1949 until 2022, the Army Day parade was organised at the Cariappa Parade Ground in the Delhi Cantonment.
- In 2023, the Southern Command was responsible for the parade in Bengaluru. It was the first time the Army Day parade was held outside the country’s capital.
- Indian Army Day 2024:
- This year marks the 76th Army Day.
- This year, the parade will be held under the command of Army's 'Central Command, which is headquartered in Lucknow.
- The theme of Indian Army Day 2024 is “In Service of the Nation”.
- This year’s theme also resembles the motto of the Indian Army, “Service Before Self.”
Who was Field Marshal KM Cariappa?
- He was the First Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army and led the Indian forces on the Western Front during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1947.
- He is one of the two Indian Army officers to hold the highest rank of Field Marshal (the other being Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw).
- He was appointed as the first Commander-in-Chief of an independent Indian Army on 15 January 1949 which is celebrated as Indian Army Day.
- He took over the command of the Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief.
- In 1947, Cariappa was the first Indian who was selected to undergo a training course at Imperial Defence College, Camberley, UK on the higher directions of war.
- He was awarded the ‘Order of the Chief Commander of the Legion of Merit’ by American President, Harry S. Truman.
- The Government of India conferred the rank of Field Marshal on Cariappa in 1983.
Q1) What is the Cantonment Board?
It is an organization established to administer and manage the civilian population living in cantonment areas. It operates in accordance with the provisions of the Cantonment Act of 2006 and falls under the jurisdiction of the Union Defence Ministry. The boards comprise elected representatives as well as ex-officio and nominated members as per the Cantonments Act, 2006.