For the first time, the Army Day parade, which used to take place in Delhi, was moved out of the national capital and took place in Bengaluru at Parade Ground, MEG & Centre.
Why in News?
The 75th Army Day will be a first-of-its-kind event, taking place outside Delhi ever since the celebrations started in 1949.
About Indian Army Day
- India celebrates Army Day on January 15 every year to commemorate the achievements of the first Indian Commander in Chief of the Indian Army — General (later Field Marshal) K.M. Cariappa.
- The Army Day is celebrated every year to honor Cariappa and the defence forces.
- Until last year, the main Army Day parade was held at the Cariappa Parade ground in Delhi where Service Chiefs paid homage to the Indian Army.
- The Army Day Parade showcases the evolution of various weapon systems held in the Indian Army’s inventory.
- Soldiers are also awarded with Gallantry awards and Sena medals on the day.
Army Day 2023:
- This year marks the 75th anniversary of Indian Army Day.
- As part of an initiative to take major events to other parts of the country, away from the national capital region, the 75th Army Day was held in Bengaluru this year.
Who was Field Marshal KM Cariappa?
- He was the First Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army and led the Indian forces on the Western Front during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1947.
- He is one of the two Indian Army officers to hold the highest rank of Field Marshal (the other being Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw).
- He was appointed as the first Commander-in-Chief of an independent Indian Army on 15 January 1949 which is celebrated as Indian Army Day.
- He took over the command of the Indian Army from General Sir FRR Bucher, the last British Commander-in-Chief.
- In 1947, Cariappa was the first Indian who was selected to undergo a training course at Imperial Defence College, Camberley, UK on the higher directions of war.
- He was awarded the ‘Order of the Chief Commander of the Legion of Merit’ by American President, Harry S. Truman.
- The Government of India conferred the rank of Field Marshal on Cariappa in 1983.
Q1) What is the ‘Legion of Merit’?
Legion of Merit, the only U.S. military decoration that has distinct ranks, and the first U.S. medal to be awarded to citizens of other nations.