Telangana Chief Minister will unveil a 125-feet-tall statue of Dr B R Ambedkar on the banks of Hussainsagar, marking the latter’s 132nd birth anniversary.
About India's tallest Ambedkar Statue:
- Location: On the banks of Hussainsagar near the new Secretariat complex in Hyderabad.
- It is claimed to be the tallest statue in the country ever built for Dr B R Ambedkar.
- Height: It has an overall height of 175 feet, including a 50 feet high circular base resembling the edifice of the Parliament of India.
- The statue weighs 474 tonnes.
- Materials used:
- 360 tonnes of stainless steel was used for building the armature structure of the statue.
- 114 tonnes of bronze was used for the casting of the statue.
- Designers: It was designed by renowned sculptors Ram Vanji Sutar and his son Anil Ram Sutar of Ram Sutar Art Creations in Noida, Uttar Pradesh, who also designed several monumental sculptures, including the world’s tallest statue — the Statue of Unity (597 feet) of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel in Gujarat.
Key Facts about Dr B R Ambedkar:
- He was an Indian jurist, economist, politician and social reformer.
- Name: Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar is popularly known as Babasaheb, meaning "respected father" in Marathi and Hindi.
- Ambedkar was born into a poor low Mahar (dalit) caste, who were treated as untouchables and subjected to socio-economic discrimination.
- He campaigned against social discrimination towards the untouchables.
- In 1930, Ambedkar launched the Kalaram Temple movement to enter Kalaram Temple.
- Poona Pact: It was an agreement made in 1932 between Ambedkar and Mahatma Gandhi on the reservation of electoral seats for the depressed classes.
- Architect of Constitution:
- He was the architect of the Constitution of India by serving as the Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee.
- He was independent India's first law and justice minister.
- In 1956, he converted to Buddhism initiating mass conversions of Dalits.
- In 1990, the Bharat Ratna was posthumously conferred upon Ambedkar.
- In honour of Ambedkar, Indian Constitution Day (National Law Day) is celebrated on 26 November.
- Political parties/groups formed by him:
- Depressed Classes Federation (DCF) in 1930
- Independent Labour Party (ILP) in 1936
- Scheduled Castes Federation (SCF) in 1942
- Key Literary works:
- Annihilation of Caste
- Rande, Gandhi and Jinnah
- Castes in India: Their Mechanism, Genesis and Development
- The Buddha and His Dhamma
- Waiting for a Visa
Q1) What is the Statue of Unity?
October 31st, 2018, marked the inauguration of the world’s tallest statue – the Statue of Unity, against the backdrop of the dramatic Satpura and Vindhyachal hills in Kevadia, Gujarat. The 182-metre (600 feet aprox.) statue is dedicated to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the architect of independent India. The colossal monument towers over River Narmada, a tribute to India ‘from the people of Gujarat’ to the leader who placed people’s welfare first.