Recently, INS Tarmugli, a Fast Attack Craft has been commissioned into the Navy at a ceremony held at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam.
About INS Tarmugli
- It is the first Follow-on Water Jet Fast Attack Craft (WJFAC), is an improved version of WJFAC, earlier constructed by GRSE.
- It is built by M/s Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers Ltd (GRSE).
- It is conceived, designed and built indigenously.
- It would be deployed for coastal patrol and surveillance operations along the East Coast of India.
- It is named after a picturesque island in the Andaman group.
- Capacity and speed: It has a carrying capacity of 320-tonne measuring 48 meters in length, and can achieve speeds in excess of 30 knots.
- The ship is capable of operating in shallow waters at high speeds and is equipped with enhanced fire power.
- It is built for extended coastal and offshore surveillance and patrol the warship.
- It is fitted with advanced MTU engines, water jet propulsion and the latest communication equipment.
Q1) What is Submarine?
Submarine, any naval vessel that is capable of propelling itself beneath the water as well as on the water’s surface. This is a unique capability among warships, and submarines are quite different in design and appearance from surface ships.