About INS Trikand:
- INS Trikand is a frontline frigate equipped with a versatile range of weapons and sensors. The ship is a part of the Indian Navy's Western Fleet, based in Mumbai.
- It belongs to the Talwar class of guided missile frigates.
- It was built by the Yantar shipyard in Kaliningrad, Russia.
Key facts about the International Maritime Exercise/ Cutlass Express 2023
- It is one of the largest multinational maritime exercises in the world.
- While this is Indian Navy’s maiden IMX participation, it also marks the second occasion where an Indian Naval ship is participating in an exercise conducted by the combined maritime forces.
- The newest iteration of Cutlass Express will primarily be carried out in Djibouti, Kenya and Mauritius.
- It will feature a series of shore-based and at-sea training activities that will take place along the eastern coast of Africa.
- It aims to bolster regional security and stability in the Western Indian Ocean.
- Participating nations will include the US, Canada, Djibouti, Madagascar, Mozambique, Mauritius, the UK, Japan, Tanzania, Seychelles, France, Kenya, Georgia, Comoros and Greece.
Q1) What is Talwar class frigate?
INS Talwar is the lead Talwar-class frigate warship of the Indian Navy. The literal meaning of its name is "Sword" in Hindi. The ship was built in Russia and commissioned into the Indian Navy on June 18, 2003.