Recently, India topped the medals tally at the 34th International Biology Olympiad (IBO) 2023 which was held in Al Ain, UAE, from July 3 to 11.
About International Biology Olympiad:
- It is a biological Olympiad for pre-university students under the age 20, and is one of the most well-known International Science Olympiads.
- The first IBO was held in Czechoslovakia in 1990, and it has since been held annually.
- The competition has gradually expanded to include more than 75 participating countries across five continents.
- All participating countries send the four winners of their National Biology Olympiad to the IBO, usually accompanied by two adults who are members of the international jury, for the duration of the competition.
- To select these top four life science contestants for this international competition, all member countries host Biology Olympiad competitions in typically 3-5 consecutively more difficult national competition rounds.
- As a consequence, this leads to a trickle-down effect, engaging more than 1 million students worldwide in life science each year.
- Every year it is being organised by different countries.
- India organized this Olympiad in 2008
Q1) What are Olympiads?
Olympiads are exams that are conducted throughout the country that lets students compete with other students on a similar education level. These exams are conducted by multiple organizations, the Indian Talent Olympiad being one of the well-established among them.