October 1 is observed as the International Day of Older Persons across the globe.
- This year, the theme for the International Day of Older Persons is “Resilience of Older Persons in a Changing World”
- The day was introduced by the United Nations General Assembly with an aim of honouring the contribution of older persons and looking into the problems that they face.
- The United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution on December 14, 1990, to establish October 1 as the International Day of Older Persons.
- The day came into being after the Vienna International Plan of Action on Ageing initiative, which was adopted by the World Assembly on Ageing in 1982.
- The UN General Assembly in 1991 approved the United Nations Principles for Older Persons. Later in 2002, the Second World Assembly on Ageing embraced the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing.
- It was done to address and understand the opportunities and challenges faced by the older generation in the 21st century and to promote the development of a society for all ages.
Source : The Hindu