Importance of International Day of People with Disabilities:
- International Day of People with Disabilities (IDPWD) is a United Nations sanctioned day celebrated internationally on 3 December each year.
- The annual observance of the International Day of Disabled Persons was proclaimed in 1992 by United Nations General Assembly resolution 47/3.
- Its objective is to promote the rights and well-being of persons with disabilities in all spheres of society and development and to increase awareness.
- Definition of disability in India:
- Until the 2011 census, the questionnaire to identify people with disabilities, included questions on seven kinds of disabilities.
- This list of disabilities was expanded to 21 when the Rights of People with Disabilities Act, 2016 was introduced.
- National Awards for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities for the year 2021 and 2022:
- It is being organized by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- The Ministry confers these Awards for outstanding achievements and work done towards the empowerment of Persons with Disabilities every year.
- The National Awards for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities for the year 2021 and 2022, are being given under various categories including Sarvshresth Divyangjan, Shresth Divyangjan and Shresth Divyang Bal/Balika.
Q1) What was the theme for the International Day of Persons with Disability (IDPWD) 2022?
The theme for the year 2022 was “Transformative solutions for inclusive development: the role of innovation in fuelling an accessible and equitable world “.
Source: All India Radio