US and Philippine troops recently fired Javelin anti-tank missiles in their largest ever military drills.
About Javelin Anti-Tank Missile:
- Javelin is a medium-range antitank weapon system designed to defeat all known and projected threat armour.
- It is a collaborative effort between US aerospace and defence giants Lockheed Martin and Raytheon Technologies through the Raytheon-Lockheed Martin Javelin JV.
- It can be carried and launched by a single person.
- It is fire-and-forget, meaning the operator can leave the area or take cover rather than having to keep cross-hairs on the target.
- It has an imaging infrared-guided seeker to guide the warhead to its target.
- Equipped with two explosive charges, it can pierce the most sophisticated tanks in the world.
- Range: 2,500 meters.
Q1) What is an Anti-Tank Missile?
Anti Tank guided missile, is a medium or long-range missile whose primary purpose is to destroy tanks and other armoured vehicles. A variety of rockets and missiles are employed against armoured vehicles, but the most sophisticated are antitank guided missiles (ATGM).