Chief Justice of India UU Lalit recommends Justice D Y Chandrachud as next Chief Justice of India.
- Chief Justice Lalit’s recommendation to the government would start the process for appointment of Justice Chandrachud as the 50th Chief Justice of India.
- If the government approval comes through, Justice Chandrachud would be the first second-generation CJI. His father, Justice Y.V. Chandrachud, was the 16th CJI and one of the longest serving.
- Chief Justice Lalit is scheduled to retire on November 8 at the end of a 74-day tenure as top judge.
- Justice Chandrachud is expected to be sworn in and assume charge as Chief Justice of India from November 9.
- He has a tenure of two years as Chief Justice until his retirement on November 11, 2024.
- Justice Chandrachud was appointed judge of the Supreme Court on May 13, 2016.
- He was before that the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court from October 31, 2013.
- Justice Chandrachud began his career as a judge in the Bombay High Court on March 29, 2000 until his appointment as the Chief Justice of the Allahabad High Court.
Source : The Hindu