The Indian Army recently ordered 100 additional K9 Vajra self-propelled howitzers.
About K- 9 Vajra- T howitzers :
- It is a 155 mm, 52-caliber tracked self-propelled artillery system.
- It is built by Larsen & Toubro with technology transferred from South Korean defence major Hanwha Defense based on its K9 Thunder.
- It has all-welded steel armour up to 19mm thick.
- The main weapon is the 155mm / 52 calibre gun.
- It has a burst rate of fire of three rounds per 15 seconds and a maximum rate of fire of six to eight rounds a minute for three minutes.
- Range: 40 km.
- The K9 uses a digital fire control system, by which it can fire multiple rounds that can impact a given area at the same time.
Q1) What is an Artillery system?
Artillery system is a long-range weapon. Artillery fires munition far beyond the range of infantry & tank. Artillery gun aims & fires a projectile without relying on the direct line of sight between the target and artillery gun. Hence, artillery gun uses various system to track & locate target out of its line of sight.