With the Madhya Pradesh assembly elections just around the corner, the demand and price of Kadaknath chicken have increased in Jhabua.
About Kadaknath Chicken
- Kadaknath, a native of Madhya Pradesh (MP), is prominently found in the Jhabua district of the state.
- It has black flesh, and, as such, this chicken is also called black chicken or Kali Masi.
- It’s not just the meat, but even the organs and bones of this chicken are black. The eggs of this chicken are black as well.
- This chicken from the Jhabua district also received the Geographical Indication (GI) tag in 2018.
- It is known for its high iron content and much lower cholesterol than other breeds.
- It has a high protein content and is considered ideal for muscle repair and building.
- It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals and is considered nutritional because of its lean meat.
- In certain traditional systems of medicine, Kadaknath chicken is believed to have therapeutic properties. It is often claimed to be beneficial for individuals with certain health conditions, such as asthma and respiratory issues.
What is a Geographical Indication (GI) Tag?
- It is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin.
- In order to function as a GI, a sign must identify a product as originating in a given place.
- This is typically used for agricultural products, foodstuffs, wine and spirit drinks, handicrafts, and industrial products.
- GI Tag ensures that no one other than those registered as authorized users is allowed to use the popular product name.
- Geographical Indications are covered as a component of intellectual property rights (IPRs) under the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property.
- At the international level, GI is governed by the World Trade Organisation’s (WTO’s) Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS).
- In India, Geographical Indications registration is administered by the Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Act, 1999.
- This GI tag is valid for 10 years, following which it can be renewed.
- The first product in India to be accorded the GI tag was Darjeeling tea in the year 2004-05.
Q1) What is Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) Agreement?
The WTO Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) is the most comprehensive multilateral agreement on intellectual property (IP). It plays a central role in facilitating trade in knowledge and creativity, in resolving trade disputes over IP, and in assuring WTO members the latitude to achieve their domestic policy objectives. It frames the IP system in terms of innovation, technology transfer and public welfare.