Recently, during the Rajasthan International Folk Festival artists performed Kalbeliya dance.
About Kalbeliya Dance
- It is a folk dance of Rajasthan state of India.
- It is well known by other names like 'Sapera Dance' or 'Snake Charmer Dance'.
- It is particularly performed by a Rajasthani tribe called 'Kalbelia'.
- The popularity of this dance is so much worldwide that Rajasthan's Kalbelia dance and songs are now in UNESCO's representative list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity from the year 2010.
- In Kalbelia dance, males play various traditional instruments and females perform the dance.
- It is one of the most sensuous dances among all Rajasthani dances.
- In this dance form the main performers are females dancers who dance and swirl, replicating the movements of a serpent.
- The dancers wear brightly colored skirts, blouses, and heavy jewelry.
- Instruments: The male musicians typically play the dhol (a drum), the pungi (a snake charmer’s pipe), and the khanjari (a tambourine)
Q1) What is UNESCO?
It stands for United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.It is specialized agency of the United Nations(UN). The constitution, which entered into force in 1946, called for the promotion of international collaboration in education, science, and culture.The agency’s permanent headquarters are in Paris, France.