Recently, The Third Meeting of the Steering Committee of the Ken-Betwa Link Project (SC-KBLP) was held under the Chairmanship of the Secretary, DoWR, RD & GR, Ministry of Jal Shakti.
About Ken-Betwa Link Project
- Under this, the transfer of excess water from the River Ken to the Betwa basin through the use of a concrete canal is proposed.
- It is the first project under the National Perspective Plan for the interlinking of rivers.
- It aims to provide irrigation to the Bundelkhand region, which is one of the worst drought-affected areas in India.
- A Tripartite Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Centre and the governments of UP and MP for the project.
- Implementing Agency: A Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) called Ken-Betwa Link Project Authority (KBLPA) will be set up to implement the project.
- The National Interlinking of Rivers Authority (NIRA) has the power to set up SPV for individual link projects.
Q1) Where does the Ken River?
The Ken River is one of the major rivers in the Bundelkhand region of central India and flows through the states of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. It is a tributary of the Yamuna.