The first-of-its-kind Nature Interpretation Centre at the Eastern Ghats Biodiversity Centre along the periphery of the Kambalakonda Wildlife Sanctuary in Visakhapatnam in was inaugurated.
About Kambalakonda Wildlife Sanctuary
- It is located in the state of Andhra Pradesh.
- It is named after the local hillock " Kambalakonda " acting as a green lung for citizens of Vizianagaram, is this large and sprawling sanctuary.
- Topography: It is considerably hilly with steep slopes.
- Vegetation: It hosts dry evergreen forests, a highly-threatened and unique forest type seen only in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh in India.
- It has wonderful plants like Tectona grandis, Randia dumetorum, Grewaia tiliaefolia, Abrus precatorius, etc.
- One of the most stunning flowers found in the region includes the Indian screw tree. Other flowers and fruits like flowers of the Bush plum tree, Jungle berry bunches can be found all across the landscape.
- Fauna: Mammals like Leopard, Barking Deer, Jackal and Avifauna include Paradise flycatcher, Tree pie, Quails, Partridges, etc.
Q1) What are the characteristics of tropical forests?
The tropical rainforest biome has four main characteristics: very high annual rainfall, high average temperatures, nutrient-poor soil, and high levels of biodiversity (species richness).