The three day-long celebration of 400th birth anniversary of Ahom General Lachit Barphukan will begin in New Delhi on November 23, 2022.
- Lachit Borphukan was a commander and councillor in the Ahom Kingdom.
- The Ahom Kingdom resisted the invasion of the Mughal Empire several times and reigned in present-day Assam for over 600 years.
- The Ahom Dynasty was founded in 1228 in Assam’s Brahmaputra Valley.
- The first King of the Ahom Kingdom was Chaolung Sukaphaa, who crossed the Patkai mountainous region to reach the Brahmaputra valley.
- In 1615, the Ahom Dynasty engaged in its first significant conflict with the Mughal Empire.
- The Mughals conquered the Ahom capital of Garhgaon in 1662 but were defeated in later battles.
- Finally, during the battle of Saraighat in 1671, the Ahoms led by Lachit Borphukan successfully defeated the Mughals.
- Borphukan is mainly known for his leadership in this battle. By 1682, the Mughal influence in the region was completely eradicated.
Source : All India Radio