About LCA Tejas:
- It is the lightest, smallest and tailless multi-role supersonic fighter aircraft in its class.
- This aircraft is designed to carry a range of air-to-air, air-to-surface, precision-guided, weapons.
- It has the air-to-air refuelling capability.
- The maximum payload capacity of Tejas is 4000 kg.
- Speed: Mach 1.8.
Key facts about the Power Take off (PTO) shaft
- It is indigenously designed and developed by the Combat Vehicles Research & Development Establishment (CVRDE), Chennai of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
- It was designed with a unique innovative patented ‘Frequency Spanning Technique’ which enables it to negotiate different operating engine speeds.
- The lightweight high-speed, lubrication-free PTO shaft transmits higher power between the aircraft engine gearbox and Aircraft Mounted Accessory Gear Box while accommodating misalignments that arise in the drive line.
Q1) What is the role of DRDO?
Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) is a defence R&D hub which develops defence technologies, systems/products that are required for Indian Armed Forces. DRDO develops defence technologies in the project mode.